Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Take a Walk in Our Shoes Poetry Challenge Day 3


Today's poems was inspired by a photo sent to me by someone on Twitter (thanks PLC for your help on this project). This individual saw someone walking in the airport with these amazing sneakers and sent the picture to me. My students didn't know that story, but they did closely exmaine the photo. Besides the shoes they were focused on the floor, they felt that this tile had to be in a school somewhere. This group of poets chose to write from the perspective of the person wearing the shoes. I love how they used their creativity to play around with rhyme and rhythm. As second graders, we have been focusing on our word choice, making our writing more descriptive using adjectives and strong verbs. You can see my students employ some of these strategies in their poem.


First Day of School
by Aubree Walton, Oliver Hawkins, and Caroline Oster

Walking into school,
feet decked out in new shoes.
People start to stare,
I don't know what to do!
I'm dressed in jeans,
leather jacket,
and a pair of black speckled socks.
But it is my colorful shoes,
that cause my friends to go into shock.
Green, gold and blue,
sparkle in the sun.
Diamond eyes staring at you,
I thought they were fun.
Never mind what people think,
I think that they are cool.
Strutting down the hall,
feeling confident in school!

1 comment:

  1. Aubree, Oliver, and Caroline--what a fabulous poem! I love the rhythm. :-) "Diamond eyes" and "strutting" such great word choices.

    ReplyDelete