Sunday, April 1, 2018

Take a Walk in Our Shoes Poetry Challenge Day 1


Today is the first day of National Poetry Month and the first day of our poetry challenge entitled Take a Walk in Our Shoes. Each day you will see a new photo of shoes and a poem to go with. We hope that you will join our fun by reading our poems, sharing your thinking about them in the comment section below or maybe even sharing your own poem based on the picture as well. Today you will see a poem developed by my class. Our goal was to stretch our imagination for this poem. We chose to write from multiple perspectives in the poem, thinking about what would be like to be a boot sitting on this shelf. What might we (the boot) be thinking? This train of thinking helped us decide to write the poem from multiple voices as well. Enjoy and happy writing everyone!


A Boot's Dilemma 
by Mrs. Daley's Second Grade Class

The lights click on,
we're all lined up,
dusted, straightened
and ready for wear.
Doors clink open,
and in she walks.
Footsteps inching closer,
electric energy in the air,
this may be the moment,
where I'm plucked from my simple shelf,
taken from the only home I've know.

          Pick me, pick me
          I holler.
          I'm the pretty red pair,
          over here.
          I'm ready for adventure,
          I'm sturdy and wanting wear,
          Ready to gallop off into the night.
          Pick me up and put me on,
          Let our journey 
          now take flight.
         
                               Oh no, here she comes,
                               my thoughts are racing,
                               through my head.
                               Keep your stinky feet
                               away from me.
                               Pick my friend the red pair instead.
                               I like the shelf I'm standing on,
                               you better stay away.
                               I have all the adventure that I need,
                               so on the shelf, I should stay.

She stands there standing,
for eternity or maybe just a minute.
Sixty seconds of my life,
that I can not get back.
Then off she wanders, empty-handed,
Leaves us
          heartbroken.
Leaves us
                                relieved.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, all of these different voices are such fun! I especially love the way the ending holds two feelings at the same time. I think I will try this. Once I read that a great story is one that can do this - hold two feelings at once. Don't you love the word, "bittersweet?" Happy National Poetry Month! xx

    ReplyDelete