Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My Top 5 Picture Books to Start the Year

Each summer participating in the #bookaday challenge, created by Donalyn Miller, has brought me great joy as I read, learn about and explore new children's and professional literature.  Making time to read every day and sharing the books I have read has helped me create a PLC that is fabulous, gives the best recommendations and supports me throughout the school year.  This year I have read some amazing picture books and I am excited to share with you my top five that I am eager to share with my students this fall.

1.  Read! Read! Read! Poems by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater and illustrated by Ryan O'Rourke

Amy's work is fantastic and my district is so lucky that she will be visiting us this fall to share with students the magic of poetry. These poems will speak directly to your heart and have a profound impact on all readers as they explore the reading process in these poems. Each poem is focused on reading, exploring how reading can take you on such grand adventures or celebrating how it can open your mind. Ryan does a fantastic job capturing the joy and playfulness in his imaginative illustrations. This book doesn't come out until September 19th, but it is a must to help build your readers' identities.



2.  This is My Book! by Mark Pett (and no one else)

I am obsessed with this brilliant book and can't wait to share it with my second graders. Mark is trying to write his book, when the characters decide they want to take over. General pandemonium erupts after that and a book is created with a pull-tab, flap and pop-ups. It shines a light on the writing process for students and will be the perfect book to introduce writing workshop.



3. Giant Squid by Candace Fleming and illustrated by Eric Rohmann

If you want to evoke your students' curiosity then this deliciously fascinating and slightly creepy book about giant squids is perfect for you.  You will learn many amazing facts about giant squids like they can be as long as a school bus and have eyes as large as soccer balls.  The lyrical prose will make you feel like you are crawling along the depths of the oceans with these majestic beasts.



4. A Small Thing...but Big by Tony Johnston and illustrated by Hadley Hooper

Lizzie and her mom are at the park where she meets an elderly gentleman with his dog, Cecile.  Lizzie is afraid of dogs, but her new friend helps her one step at a time to overcome her fears.  Getting over your fears can seem like a small thing, but to our students it sure can feel big.  It is a wonderful picture book to explore empathy and to remind us to celebrate the small things in our lives because they are big.



5. Flashlight Night by Matt Forrest Esenwine and illustrated by Fred Koehler

What happens when you combine a flashlight with a story? A magical adventure is created that you will want to devour.  You will fall in love with Fred Koehler's illustration - his use of color is simply amazing. It's the perfect book to capture students' imagination as you turn off the lights and read it with a flashlight in hand.  Where will adventure take you?



To check out the rest of my summer #bookaday reads click on this link, https://www.smore.com/xs4qw Happy reading and here's hoping you all have a magical start to your school year!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked "Flashlight Night" - as well as my friend Amy's book, as well! Thank you for including them on your list, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete